Virtual reality allows us to perform many activities just like in the real world: we can walk around, interact with various objects, and make them move according to our will. However, one very common human activity has remained difficult to perform in a virtual environment: writing.
Most of the capacities offered so far by VR peripherals, such as the wand for [amazon_textlink asin=’B00VF5NT4I’ text=’HTC VIVE’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’arpost-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’2630c7ed-e651-11e7-a46d-ed5c555bdd48′] and the [amazon_textlink asin=’B01BHMS88A’ text=’Oculus Touch ‘ template=’ProductLink’ store=’arpost-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’33ea6cbf-e651-11e7-aea0-c17eb3b169a1′]controllers are quite modest. Users find it hard to control their hand movements in thin air and their writing or drawing are awkward and nowhere near their intended results.
Drawboard – A Game Changer for Virtual Reality Writing
All the above will be a thing of the past, at least according to the producers of Drawboard – an innovative VR pen – and the dedicated mobile app named Workspace which, when used together, promise to make writing as easy as on a real life board or piece of paper.
The Drawboard Pen, which works with Windows Mixed Reality headsets or Rift/Vive via Leap Motion, is used in a similar manner to a stylus used for tablets or professional design software. The product, which is currently available for pre-order, is designed to feel like a regular pen, thus creating minimal distortion to the users’ handwriting style.
Key Innovative Features of the Drawboard Pen
The Drawboard Pen was created for extended use on various projects and activities. It boasts a battery that lasts for several hours and is easily charged by USB. Also, the device does not have limitations in terms of the surface used for writing on. Any flat and smooth surface in the user’s home or office can be used as a canvas for writing in virtual reality with the Drawboard Pen.
Other key features and benefits include:
- Six degrees of freedom for the most precise tracking of hand movement
- 512 levels of pressure sensitivity
- Tilt sensitive
- Ultra-low latency
- Easy to replace 0.7 mm felt tip
See the Drawboard Pen in action in this presentation video:
Drawboard Workspace App
Virtual reality always requires software to be paired with the hardware device. Drawboard Workspace is the app which accompanies the Pen device and allows users to:
- Edit their work by undo/redo actions
- Import and edit images, PDF files and models
- Create 2D and 3D drawings
- Share work on the internet
- Autosave projects, preventing data loss
The Workspace app is designed to look like a real-life workspace, giving users the confidence to create projects in virtual reality with the same level of skill and proficiency as in real life.
The Drawboard Pen peripheral and Workspace app work with the following virtual reality headsets:
- Microsoft Mixed Reality devices
- [amazon_textlink asin=’B073X8N1YW’ text=’Oculus Rift’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’arpost-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’224b341e-e652-11e7-b72a-edccc49b48a8′]
- [amazon_textlink asin=’B00VF5NT4I’ text=’HTC VIVE’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’arpost-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’18ac967c-e652-11e7-91ad-390952623a14′]
The first shipments of the limited production Drawboard Pen will start at the beginning of 2018.